Wake County year round schools are in full swing and the first day of the traditional school calendar is just around the corner. Many PTAs are busy organizing their calendar for the year, acquainting and training new board members with their position requirements, and planning membership drives at school open houses and teacher meet & greets. Most PTA/PTSAs will get asked “Why should I join?”.
The National PTA has been serving children for over 100 years and it is the defining organization for parent involvement! These are just a few of the great reasons to be part of PTA:
- Benefit your child-The number one reason to join PTA is to benefit your child and in doing so support your school.
- Discover great resources- The PTA provides a variety of programs for parents and students from homework, education in arts, bullying prevention, child health, and much more.
- Being a role model- You’ll demonstrate to your child the importance you place on education.
- Getting connected and being in the know- Being a member of PTA keeps you up to date with what is happening in your school and how you can support your child’s education.
- PTA Member benefits- Individuals can take advantage of PTA membership benefits including special offers and discounts, free e-learning courses, monthly e-newsletters, training and workshops, magazine subscription discounts, and much more.
- Tap into a network- PTA functions connect you to other parents and teachers. You can share ideas, concerns, and experiences.
- Speak up- Being a member of your PTA can help you effectively suggest change at your child’s school and in your community.
- Watch yourself grow and hone your skills- By volunteering with your PTA, you can put your skills to use for a noble cause.
Membership levels have been known to dip at the high school level versus the elementary school level. However, in Wake County we have some great examples of High School PTSAs working hard to increase their memberships while spreading the PTA Mission.
Below are a few examples.
Does your PTA/PTSA have any successful tips or great ideas on how to boost membership? Share your ideas with us below!